Who We Are
Past & Present
DakotAbilities was founded in 1965 as United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Services to persons with disabilities have been provided for over 50 years as a non-profit organization. In June 1975, the first five individuals began receiving services through our day program. One year later, the first group home was opened and DakotAbilities began providing residential services. In 1990, the UCP name was changed to Community Disabilities Services (CDS). In July 1996, CDS changed its name to DakotAbilities to reflect the true positive nature of the services we provide. We continue our mission under this name today. We are a recognized 501©3.
Working together, we create opportunities and meaningful lives for people with disabilities.
- We are the kind of place:
- Where dignity and respect are demonstrated.
- Where relationships are valued.
- Where accomplishments are celebrated.
- Where authentic compassion is experienced.
- Where excellence is guided by best practices.
- Where advocacy impacts change.
We see an extraordinary vision – a vision of community that actively includes people of all abilities. At DakotAbilities we work to make that vision come true. We join with the others to make our community one in which all people are valued for their talents and individual contributions.
We not only introduce people we serve to numerous opportunities, we also educate the community to what it means to be inclusive. Our goals include:
- Keeping people safe and ensuring their best possible health
- Supporting a person-directed quality of life – self-determination, choice and self-advocacy
- Facilitating relationships between people and their community. We recognize that quality of life is not a “thing”, but an on-going process that requires focused efforts over time.
DakotAbilities provides services to 140 individuals with developmental disabilities ages 16 to 80 through a variety of service options. These services are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. DakotAbilities coordinates programs and services including residential, vocational, medical/therapeutic, recreation, transportation, educational, and case management. Each program is organized through an interdisciplinary process which coordinates evaluation, planning and implementation of developmental training and care according to the specific needs of the individual.
Certifications and Accreditations
We are certified as a Community Support Provider by the South Dakota Department of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities.
In 2018, DakotAbilities received a four-year national re-accreditation by the Council on Quality and Leadership (CQL).
We are also an approved education service provider through the South Dakota Department of Education. We are certified as a Community Support Provider by the South Dakota Department of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities